Losing A Friend

One of my old childhood girlfriends passed away on the weekend.  How very sad.  She just turned 63 in July.  It happened in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  She’d had a bit of a cold and hadn’t felt very good for a couple of days….woke up and was having trouble breathing.  Her husband called 911 right away and they arrived within a few minutes but too late.  He was still on the phone with them when she passed out….possibly they thought from hyperventilating.  The parameds worked on her for 45 minutes and couldn’t revive her…..how desvastating!  So quick.

Heidi is one of the seven girls that I grew up with.  She was a bridesmaid at my wedding, I was her maid of honor.  Her parents and my parents were pretty good friends for a number of years.  Another friend, Bev, passed away 3 years ago.  Heart attack.  She was only 60!!

All so very sad.  H and her husband had just sold their house in the city and moved an hour or so out of town to a new, smaller home.  Both were retired as of last year.  The plan was to get a motorhome and travel all over the place.  The new motorhome is being delivered on Nov 1.

They’d been married 41 years, no children.

All this just reinforces that we must do what we want to do while we can!  Don’t wait and wait and wait……you just never know.  One day all is good, life is normal then boom…..it all changes in a few minutes or a second.

Over the years we hadn’t seen each other as often as we should have I guess but that is just how life is, isn’t it.  I did see her and one of the other girls more often than the rest.   Usually birthday lunches.  Now of course I wish I’d seen her and all the rest of them much more often.

L and another friend are heading out to their place today to help her husband do whatever he wants.  The tentative plan is that I will go out there on Thursday with Linda (another of the girls) to help.  If nothing else I can at least relate to what Mike is going through and maybe just sit and listen……I know there isn’t anything that I can say.

Last week Ken’s younger brother was hospitalized with a small heart attack.  No surgery necessary but did have two stents put in….one blocked valve.  He’s home now but some lifestyle changes will be required….diet, exercise etc.  He’s 64.

This is such a wake up call…..every day I plan things in my head but more often than not those plans don’t materialize.  I’ve really got to get serious about doing more of the things I want to do….so be it, even if it means doing it by myself.  That has been one of the stumbling blocks for me.  I really need to work on this.

Today I’m off to work again…..one more day of training which will hopefully be enough.   I’ve got my little note pad and will use my phone camera to take pictures of the “drop off” spots and all the places I go too.  This getting up early, in the dark, is something that I don’t miss from my old working days.  Luckily it’s not going to be that often!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s